The best way to optimise a website page for SEO is from the inside, out. Many of the elements involving in ensuring that your website ranks well for the right search terms, and is seen by the right people,
If you’re currently creating a website, or haven’t really paid attention to your on-page SEO before, now’s a good a time to start. Following the below steps should be enough to set you on the right path towards SEO success.
Start with an SEO Audit
If you’re building a website from scratch, you can skip this step. If not, start by getting an overview of how your current website is viewed by search engines. Also make sure that it’s indexed,
There are a number of free tools that can do this, but your best bet is to work with an experienced agency that understands the importance of site architecture and that can make suggestions and improvements.
We are currently offering a free Audit which we can email out to you, if you would like to have a closer look at your websites situation fill out the form here.
Know what you’re offering and who you’re offering it to then research the best keywords
Knowing what kind of content,
You can use a few tools out there to help with keyword research like Moz explorer, Google AdWords Keyword Resarch tool. Look at metrics like monthly seach volume, difficulty, organic CTR and Priority.
Once you have come up with a few keywords your want to test. I'd advise using this trick to see if your ranking for them, I'd do this prior to optimisation and a month later to see how much your SEO efforts have helped. All you do is open your browser such as Chrome and choose to open an incognito window, or in Edge its an Inprivate window. This will allow your to search for the keywords without it looking at your broswers cache. This will give you your true ranking result.
Update on-page SEO elements
When is the last time you updated your keywords? Do they appear on your page? OK, maybe its time to look at the 9 steps to SEO proofing your pages and posts.
- Ensuring you have the right keywords you want to optimise for. Let's say its "SEO Services" for an example, this needs to appear in a few places.
- Firstly in your URL will need the keywords in it www.ionline.com.au/seo-services/ like so.
- Secondly in your SEO Page title tile will also need to have this keyword. <title>SEO Services Gold Coast & Brisbane get better rankings today | iOnline</title> If you're using WordPress go and get yourself Yoasts (read our blog about Yoast here) free SEO plugin this will help you with the this and the next few setups.
- Next is your Meta Description, this is the bit of text you see below the link in the search engine results. Make sure you use less than 160 characters or Google will not show it. Again using Yoast will help with this. (Update as of Dec 13 2017 Google has updated there ammount of Characters allowed in the search snippets, it is now showing between 220 and 320 character. I will update this post with the new information once we have had a chance to test it. Look for a future blog on this subject )
- If you are using the Yoast plugin, you can use the focused keyword to help
optimiseyour URL, title, and description. See image.
- Finally we get to the actual on page elements, now you sould have your keyword in your H1 Header.
- Next in the first paragraph of your content you should if possible have your keywords appear. Then sprinkle them through the remainder of the content or about 3% coverage.
- On to your content - always aim for 350 words or more. This gives the search engines a good idea what your pages quality is like.
- Next you need to ad image alt text to your images. This needs to be relevant to the image but if you can also use your keywords then go for it. Its not a great idea to use the same keyword on every image on the page. Maybe use the direct keyword on one image and variation on the rest. Remember to make it relevant to what the image is depicting or it wont help with your pages SEO. This is because the presence of updated keywords will be what search engine crawlers look for when they analyse new website content.
The above steps are important to set up your general SEO efforts, but for the best results it’s best combined with off-page SEO and local SEO. To find out what path your business needs to take for online success, contact iOnline today.